Thursday, February 24, 2011

Free Hat


"One night I was sitting on the bed in my hotel room on Buker Hill, down in the middle of Los Angeles. It was an important night in my life, because I had to make a decision about the hotel. Either I paid up or I got out: that was what the note said, the note the landlady had put under my door. A great problem, deserving acute attention. I solved it by turning out the lights and going to bed."
 

-John Fante



The PB Conundrum

It’s kind of bizarre that inmates on death row are often able to get to choose their last meal.  They’ve all been convicted of a heinous crime, and the state has decided that they don’t have the right to live anymore.  But you want a prime rib and three quarts of Ben and Jerry’s before we kill you?  Sure, no problem!  I think this is the result of the government putting themselves in the shoes of someone on death row.  “Well, if I was gonna die, I would at least want some blueberry pancakes to look forward to.”  The whole thing doesn’t make sense.  By sentencing someone to death, you are effectively saying that they don’t deserve anything.  The right to live is the most fundamental of all rights, right?  It’s contradictory to then say, “I do feel kind of bad for them.  We’ll let ‘em go out with a few hundred more calories.”

Amazon is now selling more e-books than regular books.

I wonder if a recycled good has ever been purchased by the same consumer twice.  Yesterday I got a strange sensation of déjà vu while drinking a can of Coke.


One out of ten people in Alaska has a driver’s license.  One out of six has a pilot’s license.

Don’t think outside of the box.  Think about the box.

I wanted to find out if the words “minute” (pronounced minuht) and “minute” (pronounced mynoot) were related in origin.  I soon found out how hard this is to do using Google.

Soldiers should be given the option of having GPS devices implanted in them.  This could be used as a tool for recovering them if they are captured, or determining if they are still alive.

I wonder if anyone has moved somewhere in order to be near a certain sports team and its fans.  Or, if when a sports team moves from one city to another (e.g. Lakers, Dodgers), has anyone moved with the team?


In the future, Facebook will automatically tag you in photos based on facial recognition technology.

When you say that words can’t describe something, you have just used words to describe it.  Or have you?  This reminds me of the liar’s paradox.

Modernism is like your father

1 comment:

  1. No, to say words can't describe something does not, in turn, use words to describe it. If I were thinking of an apple, but could not marshal any words to describe it, and said so, I have not described an apple. It would only be with the universal knowledge of what I'm thinking about that "there aren't words to describe it" is an acceptable description.

    ReplyDelete