Saturday, September 1, 2012

Gasoline Hands: A Meditation


            Inhale, exhale.
Twisting patterns of poetry illusively decorated the room, augmenting its form into perpendicular space.  Colors unseen, shifting spots with ideas unthought.  Unsure of where I stood, or where I was standing, I sat; soon found space beneath the patterns for personal poetry.  My words were meshed into sounds of the atmosphere, lexical menagerie to send me away.  Living wisps of wonder and the totality of what is.  The doorbell rang.
                “Hi, sir, how are you doing today?”  Short legs, long hair.  Her pleated skirt had probably been ironed earlier in the day.  What time was it anyway?  Her nervous smile met mine.
                I thought about her question, really tried to take it in.  “Well, I’m a little confused.  I had a thought sitting in my head and when you rang the doorbell, it just disappeared.”
                “Ooh, that’s a bummer.  I’m really sorry about that.”
                “No, I mean, it’s not your fault.  It’s not like you rang the doorbell just so I would forget what I was –“
                Thinking.  Thoughts, default value, like the null hypothesis of an experiment.  Avant-garde Andy Warhol free word association.  The ghost of Jimi Hendrix lives in my shirt pocket.  And time drags on slowly as if you waited eight minutes before reading the next paragraph, unaffected by me breaking the fourth wall.  What wall?  The walls don’t exist, the lines are not really there.

                I can’t seem to compose a sensible or linear plot.  My attempts at storytelling are futile because of my underlying belief that there are no stories, just things that happen.  To craft a story arc is to romanticize reality, to wrap a bow on a pile of paperwork.  So I’m left stewing in contradictions; self-reference enslaves me.  The result is an unnecessary interruption in an unnecessary story that exists only if you let it.

                Instinctive nothing to light and sound.  The transformation of duplicity, mental activity molded into personhood.  We are what we think we are, to ourselves.  I thought.  It had been a long day and I was exhausted but not sleepy.  It never ends; each day with myself, the only person I know.  I thought.
                “Thinking?”
                “Yeah, exactly.”
                “That’s what you were thinking?  The word ‘thinking’?”
                “No.  Well, yes.  But that’s not what I forgot I was thinking.  Er, that was just a word I forgot to say.”
                She looked confused.
                “So what brings you here, exactly?”
                “Does this dog look familiar to you?”  She handed me a picture of a white cocker spaniel with a red  collar.
                My chest froze.  “Yeah, I saw him earlier today, I think.  He was lying on the grass in my front yard.”
                “Really?”  She moved closer; I came outside.  “What happened to him?”
                If I dropped her eyes, they might have shattered on the cement.  “Well,” I swallowed the saliva in my throat, “the dog had a stick in its mouth and ran it over to me.  So I picked it up and threw it into the street.  The dog ran after it and grabbed it –”
                Her stare stifled.
                “A car hit your dog.  It’s dead.”

                                Woman in elevator:  Good morning.
                                Man in elevator:  My life is slowly falling apart.

                Sadlkuhdas;gha diihdl ;nsgio wher th hll is r u srius ths can’t be hap-en-ing alkushgakulha!  Baseball, styrofoam, several species of small furry animals:  things you might think about to delay ejaculation or mental breakdown.
                She lit like fire and exPLODED onto the street as neighbors were staring and mailboxes opened to cries of her body all covered in mucus.  “Red, red, red!”  “Go, go,go!”  Ah-ooooooh.  And whoosh went the breeze when her knees got untangled and ran with her curls to the pulse of her heart.
                It never ends – this feeling.  The guilt that you get in the pit of your chest is the same as the sweat beads that fall from the nape of your neck.  Then suddenly I’m back on the toilet, hand poised over a trash can collecting the nail clippings as they fall from my fingers.

                “Of course I was nervous; it was the first day of school.”
                “So how’d it go?”
                “It was awful.  My mom told me ‘Just be yourself,’ but what does that mean to a five-year-old?  I didn’t know who I was, hell I still don’t.  I was on the verge of nervous incapacitation the whole time.  My only break was recess when I could hide under the dinosaur slide and carefully ascertain the biological composition of the terrain.”
                “And what did you conclude?”
                “It was mulch.”

                I’m driving – about to enter the highway from an unrecognizable exit.  Why am I here?  I’m tired, it’s hot, Paul McCartney is singing about fixing a hole.  Like the moment after waking up from a dream, I am suspended in time and unaware of where I came from or where I’m going.  I have to write this down.  

                “My grandmother died yesterday.”
                I looked up; she was staring at the grass.  “How old was she?”
                “87.”
                “Oh.”  I sighed contemplatively.  “Is there gonna be a funeral?”
                “No, not really.  My parents are going to have her cremated and then buried, with just a few people there.”  She took a bite of her sandwich.
                “The burial kinda defeats the point of the cremation, doesn’t it?”
                Inhale, exhale.  “Yeah, I guess… I want to be cremated when I die.”
                “What difference does it make?  It’s not like you’re gonna be there.”  I scooped up some apple sauce and ate it.  “I guess that way you don’t have to worry about being buried alive.  You’d probably die faster in the incinerator than by suffocating in a coffin.”
                She giggled.

Houses were paperclips and she fit inside an envelope.  Sky stormed compulsively, unyieldingly.  Piercing cacophony bent around alleyways into and out of her ear canals.  Eventually, everything was engulfed in flames.
I went back inside and locked the door.  It was cooler and darker than it had been moments earlier.  The air was electric and poetry began to radiate throughout the house, increasing in intensity inside of the kitchen.  Bloop, bloop bloop. Bloop, bloop bloop.  The faucet was leaking.  I pulled a bowl out of the cabinet and put it in the sink.  Bop, bop bop.  Bop, bop bop.  Percussive brass escaped the refrigerator.  Booooom, booooom, booooom.  Bop, bop bop.  Booooom, booooom, booooom.  I opened up the oven and pulled out my violin, sizzling as I touched the bow to the strings.  Wailing and whooshing  in tune with the airwaves, the sound of the fiddle melted the provolone. 

Woman:  Uh… I’m sorry to hear that.
Man:  What are you talking about?
Woman:  (confused look)
Beat.
Woman:  I’m sorry that your life is falling apart.
Man:  Is this some kind of a joke or something?

                There’s no need to retrace your steps.  Do I have to spell this out for you?  There is no story here.  Turn around right now and concentrate on what you see.  What is happening?  That is the only meaning you will find.

And then I remembered – the bowl overflowing, I placed on the floor. 


                

No comments:

Post a Comment