Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Mustard/Hand Soap

I put up a What’s New? dry-erase board in the common room of my apartment and encouraged all of my roommates to begin using it.  Now when friends come over they know exactly what’s happening so we can skip the bullshit and get straight to business.  Alternatively, it is a good tool for starting conversations with friends’ friends, or anyone else I don’t know that happens to be on my couch. 

Sometimes I’ll list small accomplishments that wouldn’t make sense to bring up out of the nowhere, but I would still like to brag about (winning our intramural basketball game, getting an A on a test).  Or, it can be used for merely commenting on the state of our apartment:  “We have a sign but don’t know where to put it.”  So now you can enter our thought space when you enter our living space.

It has a multitude of other uses but I won’t exhaust them here.

Now that “what’s new” is always represented in the apartment and consciously on our minds, my roommates and I will be more vigilant about the activities of each other and ourselves.  I’m curious how this will play out over the semester.





No comments:

Post a Comment