Tuesday, May 18, 2010

"Mind, Drips" or "Red Bull & Cheerios"

I recently lost my cell phone. Or, more specifically, I tried to claw open the subway doors in a nervous panic as I watched it ride away on the green line towards Branch Avenue. Luckily, I was able to pick it up at a barber shop in DC, thanks to a man named Twin who found the phone.

It was very difficult not having a phone for half a week. This may not sound like a long time, but consider how often you use your phone. My cell phone is not just a phone, but an instant messenger, a clock, a notepad, a game system, a voice recorder, a flashlight, a paperweight, a phone book, and a calculator.

However, it was also very liberating not having a phone for half a week. For example, I was no longer a victim of Phantom Vibrate Syndrome, a disease that is sweeping the nation. If you have not been effected or affected by PVS, consider yourself lucky. Without a phone in my pocket, there was no need to check and see if I just received a text message, only to be disappointed.

In addition, I was without a notepad. Over the years I have become accustomed to typing my thoughts out, one QWERTY character at a time. Without a cell phone, I was forced to try to remember all of my stupid thoughts until I was able to access a notebook; this was surely a fruitless task and a waste of energy. It seems hardly worth it to focus my concentration on a lame pun involving scientific terms that no one uses. It's bad enough that I don't have a waterproof dry erase board in my shower, which is where I seem to come up with my "best" ideas.

The bottom line is that a cell phone is both an electronic leash and a multi-purpose tool. Now that I have one again, I am instantly contactable, for the better or the worse.


Guess the Group
This is a new installment of SITP, which will probably be discontinued shortly, just like all the other ones.  I give you the mission statement, and you "guess the group" to which it belongs.  When you give up, search the mission statement in Google.  Or don't.  I don't care.


Mission statement: "To serve as a resource to the parking industry and our members by offering access to quality education, networking opportunities, advocacy, products and services."


Musings





Albert Einstein was married to his first cousin.


Subjectivity: Math is better than English.

A computer can now detect sarcasm.  Maybe it was taught by the foreign guy from Family Guy.




The combined mass of humans is about 100 million tons.  The combine mass of ants is at least 9 times that number. (under dispute) 

Goal: Try to live nocturnally for one week.

You can’t put the equation “5.x” into a graphing calculator.



Is there any percussion in classical music?


Quotes





“The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination.”

“It’s 4:30 in the morning.  It’s always 4:30 in the morning.”

“What would the opposite of a feminist be?  A masculist?”

“Hell is other people.”




“What are you doing Saturday night?”
“Committing suicide.”
“What about Friday night?”





Which title do you like better for this post?
Mind, Drips
Red Bull & Cheerios
myspace layouts




To Come Next Post

  • A new Beyond Belief segment!
  • A photo of the Golden Gate Bridge!
  • A line graph with a positive correlation!


2 comments: