Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Anti-Mimetics

In between thinking and typing, I'm staring at the wall, directly above my laptop.  My class schedule is taped to the wall, ever-so-slightly tilted clockwise (but not flamboyant enough to warrant repositioning).  Six different classes are listed on the schedule, three of which are color-coded.  Management is green (for money),  Information Systems is yellow because it makes me slightly uncomfortable, and Transportation is pink because of how serious the material is.  The rest of my classes are unhighlighted because I only had three colors.


"Die 666 Kill Murder" is scribbled fiercely on top of the schedule.  I assume my friend - who has pseudo multiple personality disorder, one of whom is a sociopath - did this when I stepped out.


The white board on my desk is blank, my schedule is open, my pockets are empty.  Well, to be fair, I'm wearing pajamas.  In addition to being more comfortable than jeans or khakis, pajamas put me at ease.  The clothing that you wear affects that way that people treat you and how you feel about yourself.  Suits force others to take you seriously (to an extent), and pajamas allow me to embrace being done with work for the day and enjoy the rest of the night.


There is a poster of Tommy Sandoval ollieing a huge grass gap, hanging directly above my schedule.  Suspended mid-air, the photograph capture's Sandoval's brief weightlessness atop a piece of plywood.  With the paved run up behind him and the parking lot landing ahead, he is able to appreciate a split-second equilibrium where the present is the only thing that matters.


Our possessions are an extension of who we are.  The way we interact with our environment defines us.  Is there a reality independent of perception?



Smart phones are only as smart as the owner”
-Andre, Facebook status

No comments:

Post a Comment