Thursday, April 22, 2010

Apathetic Theocracy

I like elevators. To start with, their name summarizes their function pretty well. (However, that is a little unfair, because they de-elevate, as well. [I wonder if it saddens elevators that they are stereotyped as machines that elevate, but if you got to know them, I’m sure you would find that they are widely diverse and entertaining devices]) There aren’t too many other things like that. Chairs are not referred to as “sitters." *

Even more interesting, though, are their social implications. Elevators grab people from all walks of life and force them to stand one foot apart for a period of time. During this not-short-enough time frame, people seem to have different strategies of coping. The most common type involves communicating as little as possible. This involves walking in, staring at the screen that displays the floor, and walking out without saying one word.

Other people try to strike up a friendly conversation. “Can you press four please?” is usually how the exchange starts. Now that the ice is broken, “It’s pretty hot in here.” The conversation ensues for the remaining 15 or 20 seconds. Then you never see that person again. In that respect, it is essentially useless to start a conversation in an elevator with a stranger. However, a similar argument could be made for starting any conversation in general.



How come sometimes being nervous makes me have to pee, but other times, I have trouble peeing when I'm nervous?

I always get an urge to steal that unattended Pepsi truck with the engine running parked on the side of the road.

I never want to be a statue. I've never seen a statue of someone and thought, "Oh man, that guy was cool."

I wasn't sure whether to use the word pee or urinate in my comment above. How come there is no word that is more sophisticated than pee but less sophisticated than urinate? When in doubt, always go with pee.

I want to go flavor tripping.

I once held the record for the world’s youngest person.

Post-modernism is not the same thing as retro-futurism.*

Architecture is like construction, but with art.

Cognitive Biases



Stumble Upon: “The internet is literally surfing itself.”

“No, we don’t need to add 20 saxophone parts to this section.”

*Thanks Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment